ad2.banner

Thursday, March 24, 2011

CRAP!

I was on way to work this morning and the 5watt solar panel fell, finally. I had anticipated this would happen, I was just waiting for it. So the panel is 4.5 lbs as per shipping weight. I bought suctions cups that can with stand 5lbs each, and I used four. (manufacturer claims it hold 5lbs) So thats 20lbs of suction strength holding a 5lb panel. So what went wrong? Overtime the suction cups started to weaken, the heads holding the metal wire started to arch, allowing the wire to let loose and all at once while going over a minor bump the whole panel just dropped. GOOD NEWS... The panel dropped approximately 2.5 feet from the window, AND DID NOT BREAK! This can be prevented by checking the suction cups every few days and make sure they are secure. Again, big props to SUNFORCE for making a quality product that does not break easy.

2 comments:

  1. 1!These heads off the suction cups keep stretching out. I could replace the maybe once a month but thats kind of a pain. I am looking into another method which includes 3M sticky tape on one side and velcro on the next. This would be on all four sides and sticky tapes to both the window and the frame. The continuous falling of the panels are beginning to get frustrating already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PROBLEM SOLVED! I was on the EZpass website updating some new information, and realized I needed the 3m tape for my new car. Once it arrived I thought of the 5watt solar install. Yea, I still have to manually move the EZpass unit when I need it. But at least I don't worry about the install anymore!
    ~free

    ReplyDelete