ad2.banner

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Initial Post

Hello Bloggers!


I am starting this blog to chat about the new car I recently purchased and the miles per gallon I am getting. I bought the 2010 Honda Insight (Second Generation). I bought this car purely to save money on gas. The car I traded in was a 5.7 V8 2004 Pontiac GTO, so you can imagine the gas money I am saving now. 


You are probably asking yourself, "What does this have to do with solar panels Quigz"? The answer is simple, for those who are not very knowledgeable on the Insight I will explain real quick how the car works. The Insight actually has two batteries, and no alternator. One massive battery pack resides in the trunk, this massive battery gets charged while the car is braking or not accelerating, ex. downhill. There is a second 12 volt battery under the hood, which sole purpose is to power the accessories in the cabin. So, to break this down real quick... The car charges the massive battery pack in the trunk, the power then runs through a DC to DC converter and charges the 12 volt battery under the hood. And thats why I Honda did not include an alternator with this car.


And this is were solar power comes into play. The more renewable energy I can provide to these batteries, the more energy I have to propel the car. Therefore increasing miles per gallon. With the rising gas prices I am sure there are people who are interested in this topic and I am designing this blog to help those individuals. In future I will be looking at adding solar to my house, and if this blog is successful I would be glad to share my process.


I will be adding pictures of my car and installations, the products I choose and post why I choose that product. I encourage anyone with knowledge on DC current to assist me on this journey.


My Personal Disclaimer 
I have no knowledge of electricity! This site is a blog and is purely my personal thoughts and ideas. If you attempt anything mentioned on this blog and blow up your car, you, the reader, do not hold the author "Quigz" or GOOGLE responsible in anyway shape or form.  

No comments:

Post a Comment